In December 2014, I got very ill. I caught the H3 virus - the H1N1 virus without a vaccine - and I fell. I FAILED to take my meds (Prednisone especially), and only took Aleve/Ibuprofen for a week straight. Close to the end of the month, my Mom noticed I wasn't getting up to eat or use the bathroom.
One day, I finally felt the urge to use the bathroom and to my surprise, and hers, my stomach was enormous. I had retained water for that long! She immediately called me brothers and demanded I go to the ER. I couldn't breathe at all. I was in the hospital for a good 2-3 weeks and required emergency dialysis. I thought my life was going to end. I was an emotional wreck because we just lost our Dad to renal failure and Leukemia:(
I was 380lbs when I was admitted - 80lbs heavier than at my last doctor's appointment in early December. I had to be dialyzed every day just so I could breathe. They took out 6 liters of fluid each time. Finally after 3 weeks, I was back down to under 310lbs. I was REALLY hoping my kidneys would bounce back after a few dialysis treatments but as of last week Wednesday, I went from acute (temporary) renal failure to chronic renal failure:( I need a kidney.
Although this has been the HARDEST thing I've had to deal with ever, I am hopeful. I have a great support team in my immediate and extended families as well as the best friends (all 500+) in my corner. Many times, it's hard physically and emotionally but I gotta keep fighting!!
No comments:
Post a Comment