Thursday, September 1, 2011

The BIG Day: First Office Visit


Well, today was the first day leading up to The BIG day!  I went to my very first meeting with Dr. Richards, a bariatric surgeon, and her team; a psychiatrist, a nurse, a dietician, I met my new personal trainer, and an insurance agent.   It was a grueling 3 hours for me as I had been fasting a total 15 hours by the time I was through.  ("O ye of little...")

I was nervous, anxious, and scared but I got up bright and early this morning along with my WONDERFUL, LOVING & SUPPORTIVE parents to drive to Salt Lake City.  We got there in enough time.  I was able to look around and take pictures.  Who does that, right?  Instead of sprinting into the clinic before any of my Salt Lake friends see me at a Bariatric clinic, I decided to soak up everything!  It's a new adventure for me and hopefully one that will change my life for good.


Today, I weighed in at 356.8lbs with a height of 5' 6" which brings my BMI to ONE MILLION!!  No, just kidding, CLOSE, but not that high... 57.6!  A normal BMI for my height and weight would be 18.5-24.6 or 118lbs - 145lbs, ha!  Are you serious?  So you mean to tell me my BMI was normal when I was in the 3rd grade?  OMG, I am overweight!

Here are my notes from today (YES, I took notes):
  • Dr. Richards is very nice.  She seems very kind and genuine; a positive for me.  She is concerned about my liver... oh no, I may not be able to have the surgery done; MAJOR COMPLICATIONS if liver goes untreated.  #bummer;(  STRIKE 1
  • The nurse came in to tell me that I need to stop taking a few meds in order to check for H. Pylori.  Hmmm... I wonder WHAT THE HELL H. Pylori is and WHY THE HELL they didn't tell me a week ago so I don't waste my time?  #shakingmyhead
  • Personal Trainer: way to excited!  I didn't get anything she said, I couldn't get over her natural(ly caffenated) high:)
  • Dietician: heard it a million times.  WHAT?  A liquid diet???  Hope my blender can turn steak into liquid.
  • Psychiatrist: Me: "Am I bipolar?" Her: No comment, just a resched--- damn Medi-caid/care;( STRIKE 2
  • Insurance agent: Me: "Will medi-caid/care cover the Gastric Sleeve?"  Her: "Uh, no... HELL NO!"  STRIKE 3
Long ass story short: I need to be cleared of liver cancer/liver cirrhosis AND by pulmonary before surgery date can be set!

That was my day and I'm glad I went because now I know!!  Will go on with the procedure... PRESSING FORWARD, NO turning back!  They treated me VERY well there.  The facility was beautiful.  It was like walking into a spa, except everything was ten times the size of normal stuff.  I felt at home-- comfortable.  The picture at the beginning of the post shows the huge seats in the waiting area and the conference room.  The restroom was beautiful and roomy.  Everything was sturdy!  Haha, check out their foot stool to get up on the bed (everything built to hold 1,000lbs+, now that's my kind of joint):



Feel free to follow my journey to weight loss surgery: The BIG Day!  Thanks for reading and hopefully your day is going well.  God bless!!

Love, Faga


No comments:

Post a Comment