Thursday, September 29, 2011

Aloha!

Last night I went shopping with my dear SIL (sis-in-law) and she's so sweet to offer me chocolate chip cookies from Kookie Korner (sp) in Windward Mall and 2 dozen pake cake which I ate for breakfast this morning with my Bubbi.

 

While I was eating my pake cake and soda this morning, it really took me back to when I was a little girl taking a ride with Papa to Sam Store to eat whatever I wanted.  My all-time favorites, and probably the reason I'm a diabetic today, was pake cake, orange soda in the brown bottles, and one of every Yick-Lung crack seed on the rack.  I loved almond cookie too but not as much as pake cake and soda.

I just realized while writing up this post earlier today that I am addicted to pake cake and soda because it takes me back to the days when I was happiest-- when it was just me and papa.  So silly, I'm sitting here re-reading this post and sobbing because I really miss him so much!  He was my best friend, my confidant (I don't know what kine secrets I was telling him at 6 or 8 years old), my protector.  

I was always sick as a little girl.  He and mama would spoil me rotten (maybe that's why I'm a rotten person now).  We would take drives all the way down to Tanaka store, right before Turtle Bay or Kuilima back then, and we would buy all kine snacks and food.  We would stop on our way home at Burger Mill across Kahuku High School, which sold da BEST french fries!  Then we would end up at home ready to go moemoe.  Our days were filled with fun and fond memories.  Until the weekend when "da adda" (other) kids would want to sleep over. 

I would always ask, "Why they have to come over???"  And mom used to say, "Because they're your brothers!" Haha.  I didn't really care or understand what mom meant by that and why it even mattered... until mama died and I got closer to each of them.  I love my brothers!

I don't really know where this post went cause I swear I was talking about pake cake and soda!  LOL.  I miss Hawaii very much but I think it's mainly because of all the fond memories I have there with my grandparents, my "the BEST neighbors" in the whole world, and my friends.  Oh and can't forget the food.  Other than those things, I am happy here in Utah because I am with my ENTIRE family:)

Rest in Love Mama & Papa.  I love and miss you!

Thanks for reading!
Love, Faga

PS: follow me on twitter at guess where?  "pakecakeandsoda" LOL:)

2 comments:

Lela said...

Enjoyed your walk thru memory lane......

Jasmyn "Faga" Nuga said...

Thank you Lela. You're like my ONLY reader:)

Post a Comment