Thursday, August 4, 2011

Life Is Good


In 1998, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor, neurosarcoidosis.  Surgery was scheduled within one week and unfortunately, the twelve hour surgery was for nothing--they couldn't take out the tumor.  After the surgery and still in the hospital, I was diagnosed with diabetes, hypothyroidism, among three or four other illnesses.  I was immediately put on steroids, a huge amount, which caused me to gain over 200lbs in less than six months.

My life has changed drastically since then, but I am grateful that I went through it as it has taught me a lot.  You see, prior to the surgery, there weren't too many important things in my life including family and church, I didn't care much about anyone.  I was actually very rude and insensitive.

Once I reached almost 600lbs, my outlook on life changed.  I was in the "shoes" of those I teased and judged.  It has been and still is a hard lesson to swallow but is a reminder to me daily to be humble.  I've struggled through so much, I was hospitalized every single month due to many problems including diabetic complications, I have even experienced a diabetic comatose.  But the more I went through, the more I gained witness that God lives.  My testimony has definitely grown and my love for others is important as I try to help and serve any way I can.

I am so thankful for such loving and supportive parents.  My mom quit her job because taking care of me became a full-time job.  My father worked very hard to make ends meet.  I believe it was a test for all of us and only by the mercy and love of God have we made it this far.

I believe I've been given another chance at life to do one thing; serve others, helping what ever way possible, to motivate, inspire, etc.  I share my story not to make myself appear smarter, richer, or better than another but to share my life's mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment